Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera


Title: Hooked
Series: Hooked #1
Author: Liz Fichera
Published: 12.29.13
Pages: 363
Acquired: Borrowed
Goodreads Rating: 3.60
My Rating: 4.0


Goodreads Synopsis:

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done. 

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.

****

"Not just a Romeo and Juliet story, the book examines the conflicts of white versus Indian and rich versus poor, giving it far more heft than the average romance. Bravo." (Kirkus STARRED Review)

My Review:

This is another one of the books that have been on my TBR for a very long time that I wished I had picked up sooner then yesterday afternoon. I know lately there has been a lot of buzz about the need for Diversity in YA books, I always been a huge fan of diversity in books and frankly it is found far and few between. So when I started HOOKED and found out that the main character was a native american teenage girl - I was immediately SOLD! 

HOOKED is about a high school girl named Fred  who has been offered to join the her high school's golf team.  But there's a catch to her joining - it's the all BOYS golf team. Being the only girl on all boys team is hard enough as it is, but for Fred she faces even more challenge as she is a Native American girl joining a team of all white boys. 

Ryan Berenger is one of the members of the golf team. When he finds out that Fred is joining their team, he is outraged like everyone else. Especially when one of his best friends is kicked off the team for Fred to join the team. But once he sees her play his opinion starts to change. With Fred on their team they may have a chance of actually winning the state championship. Ryan starts to notice more than Fred's wonderful swing,  but he starts seeing how her hair flows in the wind and how tan her skin is. 

But unfortunately for both of them, not everyone starts to warm up to Fred as much as Ryan, especially Seth, the guy who was kicked off the team when Fred joined. Ryan will have to decide what is more important to him winning the state championship and getting closer to Fred or supporting his friends unfounded hatred towards Fred. 

I have to admit that this book caught me by surprise and I enjoyed it much  more than I thought I would. First off as a female athlete I was immediately drawn to Fred's character. Granted I played for the girls basketball team, but I could still relate to Fred's desire to be the best player that she should could be. 

In the beginning of the story I have to admit that I was not too found of Ryan, he was a complete jerk. But through out the book you see him grow in character and he turns into a guy that you find not only worthy of Fred, but someone who I found crushing on myself - And yeah, I am a sucker for a guy who knows CPR and is not scared to use it. 

All in all this was a fun, sweet story about two unlikely characters falling for another.  The diversity of this book was refreshing and a nice change of pace to other contemporary romances!  



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Please Follow