Review: Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland



Title: Nantucket Blue
Series: Nantucket Blue #1
Author: Leila Howland
Pages: 304

Published: May 7, 2013
Acquired: Author Even
Goodreads Rating: 3.72
My Rating: 4.0



Goodreads Synopsis: 
For Cricket Thompson, a summer like this one will change everything. A summer spent on Nantucket with her best friend, Jules Clayton, and the indomitable Clayton family. A summer when she’ll make the almost unattainable Jay Logan hers. A summer to surpass all dreams.


Some of this turns out to be true. Some of it doesn’t. 

When Jules and her family suffer a devastating tragedy that forces the girls apart, Jules becomes a stranger whom Cricket wonders whether she ever really knew. And instead of lying on the beach working on her caramel-colored tan, Cricket is making beds and cleaning bathrooms to support herself in paradise for the summer.

But it’s the things Cricket hadn’t counted on--most of all, falling hard for someone who should be completely off-limits--that turn her dreams into an exhilarating, bittersweet reality.

A beautiful future is within her grasp, and Cricket must find the grace to embrace it. If she does, her life 
could be the perfect shade of Nantucket blue.


My Review: 

The synopsis above pretty much describes everything perfectly. I had first heard about this book, watching an In My Mailbox video another blogger had done several months ago. The cover was gorgeous, and the synopsis sounded like a quick summer read that I knew I would enjoy. (PS. What is about contemporaries and summer mixing together so well?) 

Knowing this book was a definite TBR for me, I was excited when I found out that Leila Howland was doing an author event a while back. If you want to read about the event, you can do so HERE.  After meeting Leila and hearing about the story, I wanted to read it even more. 

And after spending a solid week studying for my Skin Disorder Test which was yesterday, I rewarded myself by starting this book after I got home from my exam last night. It was so good that I finished it first thing when I woke up this morning. 

From the synopsis you can tell that this book is about a girl's summer in Nantucket. There's issues with the best friend, a boy or two and some drama. All this is absolutely true. But what it doesn't mention in the synopsis, is just how heart warming and thought provoking this book is. First one of all, what got me hooked in this book, was just how beautifully Leila Howland writes. The story just flows and the writing is just so beautiful.  This book was more of a coming of age story. Cricket is just shy of her 18th Birthday. She is a middle-class girl who is surrounded by privileged families. Her parents went through a divorce a few years back and like so many children from divorced families, she struggles between finding the perfect balance between her parents. Her father remarried and adopted a new child. and her mother is still struggling with losing her husband. 

Instead of dealing with her parents divorce, Cricket had adopted her best friend Jules family and when Jules mom tragically dies, not only must she face the grief of her surrogate mother's death, but it also re-opens wounds from her parents divorce. She feels the death of Jules' mother so much, and is shocked when Jules' handles her grief differently than her. As time goes on, this separates their friendship, but bring Cricket closer to someone unexpected, Jules younger brother Zack. 

What I think I appreciated about this book so much, was that the struggles that Cricket faces, is struggles that we have all gone through and can relate to. Those growing pains we have all endured throughout our life. 

I honestly enjoyed this book more than I thought I would, and am really looking forward to learning more about the characters and seeing where else life leads them in the sequel Nantucket Red. According to Leila is is still in the editing process, but should be released Spring of 2014!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Please Follow