Review: Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore

Title: Manor of Secrets
Author: Katherine Longshore
Pages: 320
Published: 01.28.14
Acquired: Arc received from Scholastic
Goodreads Rating: 3.33
My Rating: 4.0


Goodreads Synopsis:

The year is 1911. And at The Manor, nothing is as it seems . . .

Lady Charlotte Edmonds: Beautiful, wealthy, and sheltered, Charlotte feels suffocated by the strictures of upper-crust society. She longs to see the world beyond The Manor, to seek out high adventure. And most of all, romance.

Janie Seward: Fiery, hardworking, and clever, Janie knows she can be more than just a kitchen maid. But she isn't sure she possesses the courage -- or the means -- to break free and follow her passions.

Both Charlotte and Janie are ready for change. As their paths overlap in the gilded hallways and dark corridors of The Manor, rules are broken and secrets are revealed. Secrets that will alter the course of their lives. . . forever.

My Review:

Ever since I saw this cover and read the synopsis I knew I had to get my hands on this book. When I received a package from Scholastic and saw that they had sent me an ARC of this book I had to put down everything else that I was reading to start this one. 

This story is one of two different girls living in the same house but both living completely different lives.  One of the girls is Lady Charlotte, a 16 year old girl who has everything every other girl her age could possibly want, except for what Charlotte wants most: Freedom and adventure. She meets Janie, a kitchen maid who Charlotte feels has everything she doesn't, freedom, and adventure and a true group of friends. 

Janie on the other hand, does not have a great opinion of Lady Charlotte. I mean who can  admire a girl who doesn't know how to make a cup of tea. But as Lady Charlotte starts making an attempt to get to know the kitchen staff better and Janie's opinion of Charlotte may start changing. 

A new character comes into mix, when Charlotte's notorious aunt comes back into play and Charlotte asks Janie's help to find out the truth behind her disappearance and what they discover will change both of their lives for ever. 

There were so many aspects that I loved about this book. I am a sucker for historical fiction, specifically ones that are set around the Regency Period. I loved the friendship that forms between Charlotte and Janie and how that some characters you start hating from the beginning of the book start changing and you end up liking them towards the end. But the main reason that I ended up giving this book a 4 star review instead of a 3.5 start review, was because of the fact that almost towards the beginning of the book I thought that I had guessed the big reveal.  Even as I was explaining the synopsis of the book to my friend, she too came up with the same conclusion with out me prompting her. But then once we came to the big reveal towards the end of the book, we were both COMPLETELY WRONG. And that usually does not happen haha! So yes, the author got another half star for proving me wrong and taking the story for a turn that I could not see coming! If you love historical fiction, and are in the mood for a light fun read I  would recommend this book! 





0 comments :

Post a Comment

Please Follow