Review: Fall of Night by Rachel Caine

Title: Fall of Night
Series: Morganville Vampires #14
Author: Rachel Caine
Pages: 352
Published: 05.07.13
Acquired: Purchased
Goodreads Rating: 4.26
My Rating: 4.0


Goodreads Synopsis:
Thanks to its unique combination of human and vampire residents, Morganville, Texas, is a small college town with big-time problems. When student Claire Danvers gets the chance to experience life on the outside, she takes it. But Morganville isn’t the only town with vampire trouble...

Claire never thought she’d leave Morganville, but when she gets accepted into the graduate program at MIT, she can’t pass up the opportunity. Saying good-bye to her friends is bittersweet, especially since things are still raw and unsettled between Claire and her boyfriend, Shane. 

Her new life at MIT is scary and exciting, but Morganville is never really far from Claire’s mind. Enrolled in a special advanced study program with Professor Irene Anderson, a former Morganville native, Claire is able to work on her machine, which is designed to cancel the mental abilities of vampires. 

But when she begins testing her machine on live subjects, things quickly spiral out of control, and Claire starts to wonder whether leaving Morganville was the last mistake she’ll ever make...


My Review:

I was very excited to read this book. But I forced myself to wait until after Daylighters, the last book in the Morganville Vampires series came out to start it. I knew Rachel Caine would leave the second to last book with a cliff hanger, so I didn't want to be left hanging until I could find out what happens. I don't do well with cliff hangers, so if I can avoid them at all I do.

So in the end of Bitter Blood, we see Claire finally deciding to leave her Morganville friends behind and attend MIT, the school of her dreams. I was excited for this story line but at the same time worried, because I was going to miss all the wonderful cast of characters while we embark on Claire's independent journey. 

But I had no reason to be afraid because Rachel Caine found a way for Shane to follow Claire to Boston. Actually I would have liked to see Claire lead a little more of an independent life than she actually ended up with. But that is the due to the fact that trouble ended up following her to Boston and Shane had to step in to help her. You can take the girl out of Morganville but you can't keep dangerous Vampire trouble away from the girl. We met a new cast of characters in this book that which you do not know whether you can trust or not.  I specifically found myself wanted to throttle Claire's new room mate Elizabeth, as she was annoying in every single way possible. But at the end I ended up feeling sorry for her and found myself rooting for her. And I was right there was a massive cliff hanger in the end that brings you to question what happened in Morganville while Claire was away and how are they all going to pull together to save the town they love. 


All in all this was a bitter sweet book for me. I enjoyed the plot and twists and the action that you find in every single Morganville book, but I knew as I got to the cliffhanger at the end I was one book away from saying goodbye to a group of characters that I had grown to love through out the years. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Please Follow