Review: Beneath the Surface by MA Stacie



Title: Beneath the Surface
Series: Reluctance #1
Author: M.A. Stacie
Published: 08.29.13
Pages: 263
Acquired: Netgalley
Goodreads Rating: 3.74
My Review: 3.5

Goodreads
Amazon 










Goodreads Synopsis: 
Kyran Reese is a man in control. Driven when it comes to work, focused when it comes to play. From his office to the chalk circle of the bare-knuckle boxing ring, his only thought is to win. That thirst heightens when Dale Porter enters his life. His brother’s assistant should be off limits, but her witty comments and sarcastic comebacks have him desperate to get her between the sheets.

When Dale agrees to Kyran’s relationship stipulation of no labels she’s sucked into a whirlwind of lust, money, and underground boxing. Dale fights her growing affection, trying to hide it when the world around them spirals out of control. All too soon she realizes she can’t hide her true feelings any longer.

Has Kyran finally met his match? Could playing to win mean playing for keeps?


My Review: 

There were a lot of things I really liked about this book and a couple of things that I didn't. First let me get the things that I didn't like about this book out of the way, so then we can focus on the GREAT things about this story. 

First off, there were a lot of similarities between this book and the Crossfire series by Sylvia Day. Not that I didn't enjoy the similarities  but once again it was my issue about originality and wanting to be completely blown away by the story line. The second thing that kind of made we pause, was I felt that there was so much more to these character's stories that we haven't heard. And at the end of the story it left me wanting so much more. As this is the 1st book in the series, I am hoping for more character development in the coming books. So I hope this author lets us see more into the great characters she has introduced us to

Now on to the things I liked!  Honestly before I get into the love story, can I just say that I really enjoyed the sibling relationships in this story. I loved the dynamic of Dale and her brother Trace as well as Kyran and his brother Taylor's dysfunction relationship. Out of every story line this is the one which I hope the author works on. There is so much potential with both of these bro-sister/bro-bro relationship I'm dying to learn more about. 

The second thing I really enjoyed was the whole idea of relationships and the "Labels" we give them.  This is actually something I was talking to a friend about recently. And to see it discussed in this book was very interesting. Dale and Kyran start off as friend's with benefits and slowly but surely it escalates to something more. I loved how they work through all the aspects of how to label their new budding relationship. And I especially enjoyed the ending and how they come to finalize the what new labels to give each other :)  All in all this was a quick enjoyable read, and I am looking fwd to hear more about the rest of this series! 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Please Follow